ALA’s Libraries Fostering Civic Engagement MIG is offering two free online workshops to help librarians convene forums and moderate community discussions on privacy in conjunction with Choose Privacy Week, May 2-8, 2010.
The first workshop, “Tips on Hosting a Deliberative Forum on Privacy,“ will take place March 30, 2010 from 1:00 – 3:00 Central. This workshop will cover:
- the logistics for convening your forum,
- strategies you can use to build partnerships,
- ideas for marketing your forum,
- how to use your forum to meet the information needs of your patrons, and
- free and low-cost tools you can use to host a forum in your library.
The second workshop, “How to Moderate a Deliberative Forum on Privacy,“ will take place on April 13, 2010 from 1:00 – 3:00 Central. It will cover:
- guidelines for participants in a deliberative dialogue,
- strategies to encourage participants to weigh the costs and consequences of different approaches to managing privacy,
- the art of crafting powerful and thoughtful questions,
- tips for dealing with people who talk too much or people who don’t speak up, and
- how to make your community conversation part of a national dialogue.
You can find more information and links to register for the workshops here.